Hot lemon pepper wings are an incredible delight if you enjoy spicy and zesty flavors.
The blazing rush of hot sauce is combined with the tanginess of lemon and the earthy deliciousness of black pepper in these wings.
We’ll show you how to create these wonderful wings in your own kitchen in this step-by-step guide.
How To Make Hot Lemon Pepper Wings?
- 50 chicken wings (tips removed)
- enough apple cider vinegar to cover wings in a stock pot plus more for spritzing
- 2 tbsp kosher salt (for parboiling)
- 1.5 tbsp ground pepper for parboiling
- 1 bottle Louisiana Hot Sauce
- lemon pepper abounds
- apple juice for spritzing
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot, place wings with tips removed.
- Pour in enough apple cider vinegar to fully coat the wings.
- Add 2 teaspoons kosher salt and 1.5 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper to the pot.
- Bring the vinegar and wings to a boil, then reduce to a low heat and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the wings from the pot and arrange them all on tin foil with the same side facing up. We’ll refer to this as Side 1.
- Pour half the bottle of Louisiana Hot Sauce over the wings, generously sprinkle with lemon pepper, and finish with a light coating of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Flip all of the wings over and repeat Step 6 for Side 2.
- Set up an indirect heat grill and get it stabilized on low heat (275 – 300 degrees).
- Place the wings on the grill, making sure none of them are directly over the flames.
- Fill a clean plastic spray bottle 50/50 with apple juice and apple cider vinegar (the kind you can get at the grocery store to fill with water or other cleaning liquids).
- After about an hour, spray the wings with the apple juice/vinegar mixture and reapply more lemon pepper. Reapply additional spicy sauce if you prefer them hot.
- Flip all of the wings after 1.5 hours, spray with the juice/vinegar combination, and reapply additional lemon pepper.
- Continue to simmer over low heat for about 3 hours, spritzing and reapplying lemon pepper every half hour, or until they begin to crisp up.
- Increase the heat to 350°F or so at the 3 hour point to increase the crispiness, but check the meat against the bone to ensure it is not drying out.
- You can cook these for 3-4 hours altogether, but the time can vary depending on your barbecue setup. Finally, you want crispy wings with tender, fall-off-the-bone meat that is still tender and moist. These are delicious fresh off the grill or with a simple vinegar-based coleslaw. Enjoy!!
Before cooking, do not wash the chicken. Only during the cooking procedure can the microorganisms be killed. Cleaning the chicken will merely distribute the bacteria throughout your sink without completely eradicating it from the meat.
According to the USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service, “washing raw poultry before cooking is not recommended.” Bacteria can spread from raw meat and poultry juices to other foods, utensils, and surfaces. This is known as cross-contamination. Bacteria are not destroyed by rinsing or soaking. Only frying kills any bacteria that may be present on fresh chicken.”
If you don’t have any parsley, you can skip it while garnishing the hot lemon pepper wings. But slicing a lemon and squeezing some fresh lemon juice on the hot wings; the added flavor is fantastic.
Wings can be baked on foil, parchment paper, or a wire rack that can go in the oven. You will love the wire rack, but parchment paper is also good. Brush the aluminum foil generously with oil before flipping the chicken wings; they are more likely to stick to foil than parchment paper.
How To Serve Hot Lemon Pepper Wings?
Appetizer: 2 pounds of spicy lemon pepper chicken wings can feed 5-6 people as an appetizer. Serve with a dip, such as buffalo wing sauce, spicy sauce, blue cheese sauce, or anything similar.
Main course: There will be plenty for two people, two children, or three hungry adults. They go well with potato wedges or fries, sweet potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and a salad. You can also enjoy them with a simple green salad dressed with yogurt or coleslaw.
The crispy wings pair well with canned cooked corn, pesto gnocchi, or pan-fried gnocchi.
The spicy lemon pepper wings dish is ideal for any game day during the Super Bowl or football season, and it’s also fantastic for parties, barbecues, and so on.
Hot lemon pepper wings are a delectable combination of heat and zesty citrus flavor that will satisfy your taste senses. With this simple recipe, you can make these tasty wings at home and impress your friends and family with your culinary talents. Roll up your sleeves, prepare to fry, and devour every crispy, tangy, and spicy taste!
Thanks for reading. I hope you find it helpful.